Wednesday, May 15, 2013

how long will it take to cook pinto beans in a 7 quart pressure cooker?

Question by flowergal: how long will it take to cook pinto beans in a 7 quart pressure cooker?
I have never used a pressure cooker before I've always heard how temper mental they can be. I decided to try one & so I bought a 7 quart electric pressure cooker. I would like to try pinto beans with ham hocks & could use some help with it. How long will it take to cook & should I put the ham hocks in right away?


Best answer:

Answer by Emu
A pressure cooker cooks in about 1/3 of the time as regular stove top cooking. I have a pressure pan and I have cooked beans in it and I let them cook for 1 hour and they are done. I would go ahead and add the ham hocks to the beans at the beginning of the cook time.



Add your own answer in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. We have an electric pressure and love it.We pre-soak the beans and then cook them for 90 minutes.
    Your cooker should have instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not cooked ham hocks myself, but the cooking times suggested by everyone seem way too long. Here is a recipe from the GardenWeb forums using the "quick soak" method (so that means you can start from dry) or if you already soaked your beans, follow the recipe below from after the water is changed in the pressure cooker.

    "Wash, then bring beans in deep water to a boil. Take off heat and let set for one hour. Change water and cover as deep as the pressure cooker will let you (a little over one-half, less than two-thirds). Bring to pressure and cook for 45-1 hour. Reduce pressure. Check water, adding to bring back to little less than one-half and bring to pressure again. Cook for another 30-45 minutes. Let pressure come down by itself. Makes wonderfully soft beans with a marvelous liquid. I add ham, salt pork, ham hocks or Mrs. Dash's for flavor. I serve it with my gringa chili (large can chopped chili, little garlic power, little onion power, ½ lb. browned ground beef and ½ lb. browned ground pork. Put meat and beans in two seperate bowls to serve. Everyone can add chili to taste."

    Best of luck!

    L

    http://www.hippressurecooking.com
    making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

    ReplyDelete