Friday, June 14, 2013

Can I fry chicken in a pressure cooker?

Question by chiquita: Can I fry chicken in a pressure cooker?
This question was asked a year ago and didn't get any real responses. Wondered if anyone out there knows? If so, how its done.


Best answer:

Answer by yonitan
you can, but what comes out doesn't look much like chicken. i have done this for stocks /broths before, but never for a meal's main course. you just put some chicken in with water and seasonings then cook for like an hour (like i said, i usually only do this for chicken stock)



Add your own answer in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. that's how the Colonel does it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can. In fact Kentucky Fried Chicken does just that (many others too). The colonel has a patent I believe. I bet if you check with a pressure cooker manufacturer they will have a lot of recipes.
    PhD Food Chemistry and Nutrition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you can, we just had this over the weekend....

    You put oil about 1/4 of your cooker.
    get the oil hot just like you was frying, Now you place only one layer of chicken into the oil and add oil until the chicken is just covered. Now you put the top in place and add the weight on top. When it starts to jiggle turn it down for just three to five min. now turn it off and let it go down to where you can open OH YEA remove from heat if using electric stove. when you can open do so and check for brownness and carefully remove chicken to a rack to drip not on towels as it will make it soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question I'l make sure I get my own answer from a reliable source Thanx Fast food joints use a (Broaster) I would think that the steam from the chicken would destroy the crispy coating?! Just did some quick research . It seems that the crunchy coating will be soft from the steam and requires the additional step of crisping in the oven I'l stay on it however I like the idea!! kg

    ReplyDelete