Thursday, May 9, 2013

A few questions about canning and pickling. Anyone?

Question by sodakians: A few questions about canning and pickling. Anyone?
I have several pounds of jalapenos that I would like to pickle. I found a couple instructional videos online as well as a few written recipes. My main question is about the pressure cooker. I have been told by some that as long as everything is well sterilized and the brine was brought to a proper boil, there is no need to use the cooker. Is this true? Also, the cooker I have is made for a gas stove. Mine is a flat range electric, so I don't dare use it. Are there any alternatives? The last question is about the recipes themselves. Most of them consist of white vinegar, water and sugar (herbs and garlic optional). I have also read that the sugar will "tame" the jalapenos. I do not want them to be "tamed". Is the sugar absolutely necessary in the process to preserve them, or is it for the taste?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. It's much appreciated!


Best answer:

Answer by Andrew S
How to Make Your Own Home Pickled Peppers (complete directions with photos)


Go to following link http://www.pickyourown.org/pepperspickled.htm



What do you think? Answer below!

No comments:

Post a Comment