Thursday, May 9, 2013

Making coffee-please explain!?

Question by edidisangro: Making coffee-please explain!?
OK, so I just got into the habit of having a coffee now and then--I like a strong cup with a tiny dash of milk. I'll have espresso or capuccino maybe if I'm in a restaurant. But, my parents left me a coffee maker as I was going to university. It's a bialetti espresso maker, the kind you heat on a stove-in my case, an electric cooker. Could someone please explain this process to me-I've used cafetieres but I feel out of my depth here. I also don't know what kind of bean suits this process. Any thoughts would be really appreciated as I'm dying for a cup! Cheers.


Best answer:

Answer by Sine kwa non
I have a stove -top coffee maker, but it is an old Italian one and possibly different to yours. Mine has three pieces; the base is filled with water, a metal basket which fits into the base holds the coffee, and the top section screws onto the base. You need ground coffee which should be firmly pressed into the basket with a spoon. I have no idea if this helps or not. Good luck, coffee deprivation is a horrible thing. Use a low temperature to avoid boiling the water too vigorously.



Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. A cafetiere to me is a pot that is in two halves, a water reservoir as the base, with a coffee filter that fits into the top of it, and a jug that screws onto the top. You put into the reservoir the amount of water needed to make the quantity of coffee you want to make, place at least a tablespoon of coffee per cup into the filter, flatten the coffee out gently (don't tamp too hard or the coffee will be too bitter) put the whole unit together and heat on the stove until the coffee is brewed. You can't miss this, because the pot emulates Mt Vesuvius for a few seconds at the end of the process.

    A finely ground, dark roast espresso coffee is best for them.

    If that's not what you mean by a bialetti espresso maker, I'm not sure I can help you further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Google I typed in: bialetti espresso and found videos from youtube.com on how to use such a contraption

    These were the basic instructions if you are not able to view youtube.

    1)use fine ground coffee
    2) fill bottom with water to fill line
    3) insert funnel shaped filter
    4)add coffee do not over fill or tamp down
    5)clean coffee grounds from threads where top will fit on.
    6)attach top 1/2
    7)add milk to top 1/2 to fill line if desired
    8)put on heat source - boil water till you can't hear it gurgling in top 1/2
    9) pour & enjoy
    10) clean coffee maker & dry it, store it till next use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a Vev Vigano moka pot. They all work pretty much the same way, but the Bialetti Brika is the only one on the market that can make espresso with crema. I'm not a fan of the aluminum ones as they affect the flavor too much & I avoid aluminum with anything that's acidic (jury is still out on links between Alzheimer's & aluminum).

    Don't fill over the pressure valve in the base. Don't use fine (espresso) ground coffee as it will fall through the filter basket holes & possibly clog the system. Don't compact the grounds (see links), they will expand when wet and become naturally compacted. If it's new, run one brew cycle to clean the system before making the first batch you'll drink (this is vital with the aluminum to coat it & reduce future flavor effects).

    I preheat the water in an electric kettle and pour it into the base before grinding the coffee so it doesn't heat for too long, but the links suggest heating the water in the base before inserting & filling the filter basket. That way you don't need a second device.

    My Vev Vigano is tied with my french press as my favorite ways to make delicious coffee (I have seven different brewing methods).

    ReplyDelete