Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What do I need to be able to can meats?

Question by jessica p: What do I need to be able to can meats?
I have been going crazy trying to find a pressure canner I can use for meats..some ppl say to get the gauge one so you can see the "temp"(con to that is babysitting the gauge) but others say to get the "weighted pressure regulator" I am also seeing on Amazon that your can buy these "weighted pressure regulators' separate, Is that to replace the "rocker' type weight on pressure canners? I know this may sound confusing. I want to be able to can everything but can't pay 300 bucks for a canner. This one "Mirro 22-Quart Polished Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner" says it has the "5,10,15, psi regulator. But just looks like a regular jiggle weight in the pic...ugh Anyone have any advise? I do have an 8 quart pressure cooker, But I haven't used it to can cuz my mother in law said I need the gauge...anyone know if you can swap out the jiggler for a 5,10,15 psi regulator..dont want it to blow up in my face.


Best answer:

Answer by davidepeden
The large 22-qt pressure canners generally have pressure gauges. So you need your meat, water, seasonings, jars and lids, and the time to do it. Check with a your local True Value Hardware store or a siimilar housewares store. They can supply you with the correct canner. It's also a good idea for a first time canner to check with the local extension service--they have very experienced people on staff who can answer any question you might have and keep you safe.



What do you think? Answer below!

1 comment:

  1. I have not used the new electric pressure cookers with gauges but I would not trust them for canning. You cannot interchange a 'rocking' gauge with 'wiggler' kind of gauge on the same canner.
    I have that mirro 22 quart canner my wonderful mother in law gave me about 7 years ago. It's from the early 60's, I have bought new gaskets twice, still available and it works like a charm. It's a 'wiggler' type
    What you are looking at - if it's the same - is a gauge using the 10 lbs psi 'hole' - typical/common weight for canning that lets off pressure 3-4 times per minute. It sits still for about 10 minutes, then fitzzzzz fitzzzz for a few seconds, then goes back to being still - then does it again in about 10 minutes.
    Your mother in law is probably not as old as me. You don't rely on temperature but rather time when pressure canning.
    Even an old school canner like I have will not blow up in your face, however the first time you use a pressure canner this is what you think will happen - lots of steam and noise. Canners are made with a built in wax release in the event of a clogged steam hole.
    Feel free to email me with any questions craigslist@glittercity.com
    An 8qt pressure cooker can be used for canning, but because low acid foods require so much time for proper processing, you can't justify canning enough food to warrant such small batches.
    I love canning

    ReplyDelete