Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Nitrate-free sliced meats?

Question by Laura: Nitrate-free sliced meats?
I suffer from migraines, and was told to cut out nitrates from my diet. Apparently most deli meats contain sodium nitrate. But are there any that don't? I know I'm going to have to cut a lot of other foods from my diet. But I was sort of hoping there was at least one brand of pre-sliced meat out there that wasn't off-limits.


Best answer:

Answer by Kaviani999
I'm not aware of any national brands, but fancier grocery stores tend to make their own. FYI, you pretty much have to eat it all in 48hrs or it gets really weird looking/smelling.

Probably the superior option would be to make tuna, chicken, turkey, or egg salad type spreads to use. That way you can control exactly what goes in the meat and you know exactly how fresh it is. I buy turkey or chicken legs/thighs (the cheap stuff), boil it, then chop the meat into little pieces, whip w/mayo, tasty herbs, salt, and any practical veggies (like celery or shredded carrots or jicama) and then I have lunch for 3 days. Plus you can keep the water from boiling the meat as a stock to use for rice or pasta or stews or whatever.



What do you think? Answer below!

2 comments:

  1. Cook your own meat...that's what l do.

    l roast a lump of pork and a lump of beef at the same time [saves on gas] then when it's cooked l leave it to cool and cover it before putting in the fridge overnight.

    l have an electric meat slicer so l can cut the meat to any thickness l want. Then l bag it up [about 6 slices per bag] and stick it in the freezer. Get it out the evening before you need it and it defrosts in the fridge by morning. l also cook gammon in the pressure cooker and do the same thing for making home made sliced ham.

    lt saves me a fortune because bought deli meat is so expensive and this way l know there is nothing added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to check at your local deli. I know Boars Head brand issues pamphlets to the deli's that carry their product so the customers can look up things like this. All of Boars Head's "All Natural" products are nitrate free.

    However, I don't know what your local big brand is. Boars Head *is* a national brand but not necessarily in your area. Your best bet is to ask the manager of your local deli what they've got to offer you.

    ReplyDelete