Thursday, May 9, 2013

What heat element to use for canning?

Question by Debbie H: What heat element to use for canning?
Hi, I started canning this year. I canned tomatoes, jellies, peaches, meats, etc. so I use both the bath and pressure cooker method. My problem is that I have a smooth top stove and I had to use a stock pot for a bath canner because of the flatter bottom. So I couldn't can only 5 qt per time. This took forever. I will be canning more this year so I need to find a different way. Suggestions have been to buy a cheap electric stove to put in the basement, a portable electric burner, one of those propane burners to go outside. I don't know what would be best as far as convenience and expense. But would like the best all around way. I might add that I have an attached garage, a basement, a porch outside my kitchen (not covered) with a plug and a porch out front (covered)with a plug. What would you suggest?


Best answer:

Answer by oil field trash
I would think a used propane stove from a camping trailer might be a good choice. The propane gives you much more control over the heat and the size might be good for your use.



What do you think? Answer below!

No comments:

Post a Comment