Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Can you can in an electric pressure cooker?

Question by beth: Can you can in an electric pressure cooker?



Best answer:

Answer by gardensallday
I think I read that pressure cookers don't work well for canning. I'm thinking due to their smaller size, so they don't hold a stable enough temperature, but I don't know for sure, and I don't remember where I read it. Perhaps your state has an extension service that you can contact for more info. Since it's the slow season, the people who sell the ball/kerr lids might answer you. I do a LOT of canning, and most times you are doing big batches so you would want a real canner anyhow.

If you buy a pressure canner, get one with a weighted gauge, not a dial gauge. Dial gauges need to be calibrated every year, and a lady I met who used to work at the extension service said those things are so far off that she thought they should not be sold anymore.



Give your answer to this question below!

4 comments:

  1. Many pressure cookers only does 8 pounds of pressure and you would want to do up to 15 pounds of pressure. Many are also not large enough for canning. You're pretty much limited to the Presto, Mirror and All American canners if you are in North America. The All American is the only one without a gasket that typically gets changed every year to two years at the most inconvenient times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have two electric pressure cookers which I love, but they are not suitable for canning. You need to get a pressure canner. You can aso cook meals in a pressure canner,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you can, but make sure you know what you are doing.
    Dune

    ReplyDelete