Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Can you use an electric pressure cooker for canning?

Question by Erika B: Can you use an electric pressure cooker for canning?
Can you use an electric pressure cooker for canning? What size of a pressure cooker would I need for canning. I know they are big so canning would be the only thing I use it for. I don't know much about this so the more info the better.
Thank you.


Best answer:

Answer by Emu
I don't think so. First a pressure cooker would only hold a couple of jars and...the pressure on most pressure cookers is 15pounds. Most canning needs to be done at either 5lb. of pressure or 10 lb.
The pressure canner has a regulator so you can determine the pounds of pressure. The pressure cooker only has the 15lb. pressure.

You can buy the pressure canners on ebay for a fairly reasonable price. I have a 12 qt. one which is quite small but I don't do a lot of canning. I think it holds 5 quart jars or 8 pint jars but I don't remember for sure.

I use mine a lot in the winter to make my own home made canned chili. I also make a canned apple filling to eat with pancakes. It is also good for canning chicken for a fast meal.

I also use my canner without the pressure to cold pack. I use this for tomatoes and fruit. I always make a lot of apple butter in the fall and can it.



Give your answer to this question below!

No comments:

Post a Comment