Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Osso Bucco too tough in the pressure cooker..?

Question by Pete: Osso Bucco too tough in the pressure cooker..?
I recently bought a 6L Cuisinart electric pressure cooker and have made some pretty great meals in it already.

However, last night I attempted to make osso bucco (I actually used scotch fillet steak as it was on special) and the meat turned out far too tough and particularly UN-tender.

I browned the meat first then when all the rest was ready I put it in the pressure cooker for 20 mins on high pressure.

Is it a time thing? Perhaps I should have used low pressure?

Two things which may or may not be relevant:

1. I used two tins of diced tomatoes as well as half a cup of red wine. This made the resultant product VERY liquidy.

2. I did NOT use the rack which came with the pressure cooker for the meat.

Any ideas?

Thanks.


Best answer:

Answer by Miz Lamb
Timing thing is right! It needed a bit longer pressure time. I would have also tossed in a tea bag. Green tea works too and doesn't make the sauce or gravy quite as brown.

The tannin in the tea is a natural tenderizer. Quite amazing how much better it works for tenderizing meats especially those tougher cuts than the commercial tenderizers and is not chemical agent either.

I might not have put the tomato in until the meat was done as tins of tomatoes just need heated and tend to disintegrate in pressure cookers.

I am not familiar with the steak cut name, so am assuming it was like a flank steak or something.



Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. The problem was the time. It should have been cooked for 45 minutes or so, You can always close the cooker and bring it up to steam again and continue on with the cooking. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sell Veal Osso Bucco I work for Rastelli Foods, We just opened and online market and this product is premaid all you need to do is heat and serve. I promise 100% money back guarantee if you are not loving the product

    ReplyDelete